The process of relocation cannot be imagined without cardboards. Most of your belongings will be packed into containers of various sizes. A lot of preparation and scheduling is required and you will probably ask yourself “how many moving boxes do I need to pack my home”? It is important to point out that each home is distinctive, and there is no unique formula that can tell how many cardboard containers a person will need during relocation. However, there are a couple of things you should take into account. Follow our guide to help you determine how many cardboards you will need for a successful relocation.
Which Factors Determine How Many Moving Boxes Do I Need for Relocation
The first step is to consider a couple of factors that can determine the number of moving boxes you’ll have to acquire. A considerable amount of money will have to be put aside for this packing material, and that is why you should calculate how many you’ll use. If you want to cut some expenses, be sure to find free moving boxes in places like bookstores, retail stores, or recycling centers. Also, you will save plenty of time by acquiring the right amount of cardboard at once and not always run to the store to get some more. Be sure to check the following factors down below.
How Many People Live in My Home
Consider each member of your family because everyone owns a significant amount of belongings that will have to be packed. If you have children, remember that you’ll probably have plenty of toys that will have to be moved.
How Many Square Feet and How Much Stuff There Are
Measure the area of your apartment in square feet to estimate the number of necessary containers for packing. If you have a big residence, your job will be to sort out a considerable amount of things. To save some money, you should consider decluttering your household. Many unneeded objects can be found in the dining room or bathroom. Organize a garage sale to sell unwanted items or donate.
How Many Years I Have Spent in My Home and What Kind of a Lifestyle Am I Following
The years you spent in your residence will help you estimate how many cardboard containers you’ll use. The more you lived there, the more things you have collected.
Are you a minimalist who is free from worldly desires? Maybe you collect specific items? The number of containers you’ll use can be estimated by the lifestyle you prefer.
You should consider these essential factors when thinking about how many cardboards you’ll use for relocation. However, be double ready and acquire more than you have calculated. Maybe you are relocating for the first time, or perhaps this is your first long-distance move. You’ll never know where something unexpected can arise, and maybe you’ll be needing more containers.
Which Box Sizes and Types Do I Need for Relocation
Before you purchase any cardboard container, be sure to check which sizes and types of this packing material you can find on the market.
Standard Moving Boxes
Standard size shipping boxes are the ones you’ll have to acquire for most of your household items.
- Small: The relative size of the small container is 18″ x 18″ x 16″, with a volume of 1.5 cu/ft.
- Medium: The approximate dimensions for medium-sized containers are 16″ x 12″ x 12″, with a 3.0 cu/ft volume.
- Large: Proportions for the large containers are 18″ x 18″ x 24″ with a 4.5 cu/ft volume.
- Extra Large: The approximate size of such a grand container is 24″ x 18″ x 24″, with a volume of 6.0 cu/ft.
Specialty Moving Boxes
These containers are made for specific household items that are fragile, breakable, or susceptible to damage during transit. Therefore, such objects have to be carefully packed in specialty boxes.
- Dish barrel box: These types are also known as dish packs and are specially designed to hold breakable and fragile items safe during transportation. The approximate size is 18″ x 18″ x 28″, with a 5.25 cu/ft capacity.
- Book box: This type is designed for the transportation of larger and heavier books. The dimensions are 12″ x 12″ x 12″, with 1.0 cu/ft capacity.
- Wardrobe box: This type is like a portable mini wardrobe made for transporting hanging clothes. They come in 3 sizes: small (24″ x 24″ x 34″ with 11.3 cu/ft capacity), medium (18″ x 18″ x 46″ with 8.6 cu/ft capacity) and big (24″ x 24″ x 48″ with 16 cu/ft capacity).
Which Number of Containers Do I Need for My Home Type
Even though the estimated number of containers used for relocation will be unique for each household, the approximate amount can be calculated by the number of bedrooms. After all, the bedroom is an important room because your clothes and other personal belongings are stored there.
Down below, you’ll find how many containers you’ll have to acquire to pack a 1-bedroom apartment for relocation.
- 20 medium-sized containers;
- 17 large containers;
- 8 extra-grand containers;
- 4 wardrobe containers.
You’ll find how many containers you’ll have to acquire to pack a 2-bedroom apartment for relocation down below.
- 30 medium-sized containers;
- 23 large containers;
- 10 extra-grand containers;
- 4 wardrobe containers.
This is how many containers you’ll need to pack a 3-bedroom house for a relocation.
- 45 medium-sized containers;
- 32 large containers;
- 13 extra-grand containers;
- 4 wardrobe containers.
Now You’re Ready to Go Box-Hunting
Hopefully, this article helped you to decide how many moving boxes you need when moving. If you want additional help, you can always request an in-house survey by the movers, and they will estimate how many containers you’ll need to pack your household. If you are still searching for professional moving services, contact a reliable shipping company to help you relocate anywhere in the country.