The process of packing for your moving process is simply unimaginable without cardboard moving boxes. With the exception of pieces of furniture and household appliances, the rest of your things will have to be packed into moving boxes of various sizes in order to be correctly protected during the actual transportation of your possessions from your old home to your new one. Naturally, long before you initiate the intensive and time-consuming packing task for the move, the very first question that you will ask yourself is how many moving boxes am I going to need.It is important that you understand upright that because each home is unique and each relocation itself is equally distinctive too, it is impossible to determine the precise number of moving boxes required for the successful completion of your packing task. Nevertheless, although there isn’t a magical formula that can tell you exactly how many moving boxes you are going to need to pack up all of your household items, here are a couple of good ways to find out an estimated amount of moving boxes that you will need for your move. Here are 4 tips to help you decide how many moving boxes you need when moving.
Factors that determine the number of moving boxes
Cardboard moving boxes of various sizes will be your biggest packing expense so it’s very useful to have a general idea of the number of boxes that you will need for the packing task.
If you buy too many packing boxes, then you will have paid more than you had to and will be left wondering what to do with your excess moving boxes. On the other hand, you might lose precious time running to Home Depot if you have not bought enough moving boxes or you have not got ones of the correct size.
Statistics show that the average number of moving boxes required for the move is around sixty. Yet, how many moving boxes you will need to pack up all of your belongings will depend on a number of specific factors. Briefly, here are the 4 tips to help you decide how many moving boxes you need when moving.
- Number of rooms
- Square footage
- Number of people
- Number of years spent in the home
- Kind of lifestyle
- Amount of decluttering done
What moving boxes should you get when moving?
Before you get the estimated number of moving boxes that you will require to get through with the packing job, you will find it very useful to know what type and size of moving boxes are available to you on the market.
Regular moving boxes
These are the moving boxes which you will need the most to pack up your household items. They come in four different sizes:
Small moving boxes:
Small moving boxes which are approximately 18 x 18 x 16 in size. They have a capacity of 1.5 cubic feet and a gross weight limit of 65 lbs. The average price of the small moving box is $1 per box.
Medium moving boxes:
Medium moving boxes which are approximately 16 x 12 x 12 in size. With a capacity of 3.0 cubic feet and a gross weight limit of 65 lbs. These boxes are approximately $1.50 a box.
Large moving boxes:
Large moving boxes are about 18 x 18 x 24 in size with a capacity of 4.5 cubic feet. Their average weight limit of 65 lbs and their average price is $2 a box.
XL moving boxes
XL moving boxes are about 24 x 18 x 24 in size with a capacity of 6.0 cubic feet and have an average weight limit of 65 lbs. The average price per box is $2.50.
Specialty moving boxes
In addition to the regular cardboard moving boxes that we already mentioned above, you might need to use a few specialty moving boxes to pack all of your books, clothes, pictures, personal documents, etc.
Wardrobe boxes. These boxes are great for moving all of your hanging clothes with no chance of damage to your expensive garments. Wardrobe boxes come in three sizes small, medium, and large.
Dish barrel boxes.
Dish barrel boxes. These boxes are made for packing and moving breakable possessions like kitchen plates, glasses or other delicate antique things. Dish barrel boxes are double-walled to provide maximum protection.
Book boxes. These boxes are ideal for packing and shipping heavy books.
Mirror and picture boxes
Mirror and picture boxes. These boxes are designed to keep framed things protected during a move, from moving mirrors to moving pictures, photos, paintings and many other types of framed artwork. Picture boxes come in three sizes standard, large, four piece box.
Number of moving boxes by rooms
According to a rough approximation, you are going to require approximately ten small boxes, eight medium boxes and five large boxes that will help you to pack all the contents of a single room.
However, as already mentioned, the actual number of moving boxes will be different for every relocation. It is always a good idea to get more moving boxes than you think you are going to require.
Here is the approximate number of cardboard moving boxes that you will need by the number of bedrooms in your home. These numbers have been estimated for two people living a modest lifestyle.
- When packing a studio apartment, you will need fifteen medium moving boxes, thirteen large moving boxes, seven XL moving boxes, four wardrobe boxes, and three picture boxes.
- For moving a one bedroom apartment you are going to need twenty regular moving boxes, sixteen large moving boxes, eight XL moving boxes, four wardrobe moving boxes, and four picture boxes.
- For packing the contents of a two bedroom apartment you are going to need thirty regular moving boxes, twenty-two large moving boxes, ten XL moving boxes, four wardrobe boxes and six picture moving boxes.
- When packing a three bedroom house you are going to need forty-five regular moving boxes, thirty-one large moving boxes, thirteen XL moving boxes, four wardrobe moving boxes and nine picture boxes.
Number of moving boxes by square feet
Some moving companies claim a much better way to calculate the approximate number of moving boxes that you will require to pack your things, is to use the square footage of your house or apartment and not the number of rooms. So, based on your house’s square footage, here is a rough estimate of the number of cardboard moving boxes that you will need.
- For houses with less than seven hundred square feet, you will need fourteen small boxes, eleven regular boxes, five large moving boxes, and three XL moving boxes.
- For homes between seven hundred and nine hundred square feet, you are going to need seventeen small moving boxes, fifteen regular moving boxes, seven large boxes, and four extra large boxes.
- Homes that have between nine hundred and one thousand two hundred square feet are going to require twenty-three small boxes, twenty-two regular moving boxes, eleven large moving boxes, and six extra large moving boxes.
- Houses from between one thousand two hundred and one thousand six hundred square feet you will need thirty-two small moving boxes, thirty-one regular moving boxes, sixteen large moving boxes, and ten extra large moving boxes.
- For Homes that have from one thousand six hundred to one thousand eight hundred square feet, you are going to need thirty-seven small moving boxes, thirty-five regular moving boxes, twenty large moving boxes, and twelve extra large moving boxes.
- When packing homes for a home that has between one thousand eight hundred to two thousand two hundred square feet, you will need forty-two small moving boxes, forty-one regular moving boxes, twenty-six large moving boxes, and fifteen XL moving boxes.
Now that you have read these 4 tips to help you decide how many moving boxes you need when moving you should now know how many moving boxes you will need when moving with any degree of accuracy, request an in-house survey from reputable movers near you. If you are looking for a professional moving company, then you should hire Cross Country Movers Group which is a professional moving company that can help you to relocate to and from anywhere in the country. Call one of our professional representatives and they will help you with your move and will also provide you with a free moving estimate to help you organize your move.