If you have decided to move, you probably found yourself in a challenging situation when it comes to the belongings you don’t need anymore. If they are old or haven’t been used for a very long time, then you should probably find a way to sell unwanted items.
Avoid one of the most common moving mistakes – packing and taking with you every little thing that you don’t need, especially if you’re moving out for the first time. So, roll up your sleeves, go through your belongings, choose what things are suitable for an online sale, and find the best tool to do it.
If You Want to Sell Unwanted Items – Make a Selection of Used and Unused Things First
The Internet is a great place where you can get rid of everything you don’t want or need anymore. Not only will you declutter your home, but you will earn some extra cash as well. Follow these steps in order to organize your items:
- Go through your stuff and sort it
- Ask yourself when was the last time you used every item
- You will probably find things that are not for sale, whether they are old or faulty – you can throw them away or donate
- Organize all belongings into categories
- Get information about the fair market price for your things
Avoid Local Selling and Try These Websites
We live in a world full of online possibilities. Aside from websites, many people have apps on their mobile phones designed for buying and selling things. Whether you have an Apple or Android phone, apps are compatible with all kinds of devices. The online market has a vast reach, whether you are a buyer or seller.
Poshmark – Sell Fashion and Accessories Online
If you have clothes you don’t wear, Poshmark is an ideal place for you. The categories adjusted for search include:
- Who the target group is (women, men, children)
- Brand name
- Item (shoes, handbags, jewelry, etc.)
Decluttr – For Unwanted Electronics
There are several categories you can get rid of on Decluttr, and especially electronics:
- CDs and DVDs
- Video games
- Apple products
- Gaming systems
- Lego sets
OfferUp – a Popular and Well-Organized Site
On this site, you will be able to list and sell for free. Many various and different items are placed here:
- Arts and crafts
- Car parts
- Games and toys
- Cell phones
- Beauty and health
- Appliances, etc.
Amazon Seller Marketplace – a Variety of Stuff Online
This site is great for secondhand items, as well as new things. By having insight into the offer, you can find tons of different things, including:
- Collectible coins
- Artwork pieces
- Handmade things
- Luggage and travel accessories
- Musical instruments
5Miles – Buy or Sell Anything in a Broader Range
The initial idea behind 5Miles was to help trade things in your surrounding area, but now the scope is much broader, even up to 40 miles. The site is focused on:
- Auto parts
- Garage sales, etc.
OC Buyback – the Best Site for Old Phones
Do you have a cell phone you don’t use or like anymore? Or maybe you happen to be selling one? OC Buyback will give you the best prices for your devices.
Cash4Books – Knowledge Spreads Better Online
Cash4Books buys all types of books, used ones, textbooks – but the most wanted and the highest-paid are up-to-date used university workbooks.
OLX – a World-Wide Known Site
As one of the world’s fastest-growing marketplace networks, it serves more than 350 million people every month. It is absolutely free to list things for sale on OLX.
Trove Marketplace – Furniture and Decor Items Are a Priority Here
A fan of home furnishings and secondhand furniture will find everything they need for their living space quickly and easily here. But you should know that there is a fee for things you want to trade on this site.
Mercari – Sell Your Stuff Without Any Listing Fees
With Mercari, it is easy to trade almost anything. Listings are free, but a flat 10% fee is charged with every completed sale.
With eBay, You Will Sell Anything
eBay can brag about minimal fees and an offer that includes:
- A worldwide community of nearly 200 million customers
- Shipping labels and significant postage discounts
- Seller protection and customer support
Letgo – Another Free Site
With features like video listings and Letgo Reveal, Letgo makes it easy to list and find great arrangements nearby. It charges neither listing or selling fees.
Do You Want a Better and Faster Sale? It’s Possible
As your moving day draws nearer and your search for professional moving services become more intensive, you would like to get rid of unwanted things and to earn some extra money. So you are wondering how this process of selling online could be faster and more profitable. Follow these tips and the results will be more than satisfactory:
- Be original and detailed in the description. Avoid generic headlines like “Used Item for Sale” and instead include key features about the color and dimensions of the product.
- Use clear and quality photos. Upload only the best pictures to make a good first impression and to grab attention.
- Write the reason for the sale. Being honest is always the best option when your goal is to make a good impression on potential buyers. Even the smallest detail can be crucial.
- Reveal the flaws. Photograph any existing defects and make sure that it’s reflected in your price.
- Pack your item carefully to make sure it arrives at its destination in one piece. You don’t want any hassle with returns and dissatisfied buyers.
Stick to the Standard Payment Options for Selling
When it comes to online payments, there are several options: cash (or cashier’s check), a debit or credit card, or a PayPal payment. You should be careful when it comes to checking accounts – always call and verify this option with the bank first.
Public Places are the Best for Meeting up with Buyers
Never agree to meet a stranger in an isolated area. Your meeting should take place in a location with a lot of people, for example in a shopping mall.
Never Meet Up with Customers Alone
For your safety, you should always take someone with you. You will be more relaxed and won’t feel uncomfortable with strangers.
Always Inform Your Loved Ones When, Where and with Whom You’re Meeting Up
The crucial thing before meeting up with a potential buyer is to:
- Leave contact info of that person with someone you trust
- Tell them what are you going to do
- Tell them when you hope to be back
It’s not a bad idea to bring some self-defense gadgets, such as tear gas if it is legal in your state, with you in case something unpredictable occurs.
Avoid Odd Types of Requests for Stuff on Sale
It’s not rare for people to have unusual requests about the items for sale, for example, to offer you something in exchange or connect you with a third party to pay the wanted sum. Don’t risk being scammed by such offers.
Selling your stuff online has never been easier than today when we have an app for pretty much everything we need. Whether you are looking for the best offer or want to get rid of unwanted things before you move into your new place, there are great and easy ways to carry out this task.