Did you know that, depending on the distance, time, and volume of belongings, moving costs can get close to five-digit amounts? So, if you’re about to move soon and wondering how to save money on moving costs, don’t worry – it’s achievable.
Whether you’re planning to carry out this process yourself or with the help of professionals, you need to have a plan if you’re on a tight budget. Depending on your amount of possessions and how urgent your relocation is, you can weigh the pros and cons and choose the best course of action.
Whatever you opt for, one thing is sure – there are plenty of ways to economize when relocating. With our tips and tricks, you’ll find out what materials to use, how to plan your packing budget, and what not to do when you move to a new home.
How to Save on Moving Costs When Relocating DIY
Moving on your own might be a cost-saving solution, but it is demanding and challenging as well, especially if you’re moving out for the first time. That’s why you should start earlier than when relocating with the help of professional movers. Also, if you don’t have too many belongings to transport, consider borrowing your friend’s van or renting a moving truck. This solution might be cheaper than paying for professional moving services, but there’s a catch: you and your friends will have to load and unload the vehicle yourself.
Here are several more tips to help you carry out a successful DIY relocation:
- Get rid of stuff you don’t need anymore
- Save money on boxes and other supplies
- Use large garbage bags for soft items (pillows, blankets, clothes, etc.)
- Be organized and start storing earlier
- Get the right size truck or van
- If you’re relocating for a new job, check with your company for reimbursement
How to Reduce Expenses When Using Professional Relocation Services
Maybe you don’t think that it is possible to be cost-efficient if using the services of professional movers. Still, experts could even save you a few bucks in the long run, mainly by executing the move in a timely and highly professional manner. Besides, most relocation companies provide mandatory insurance for your stuff if something goes wrong, which is not the case with a DIY move. Here are a few more reasons why you should hire a professional crew:
- If you have fragile and valuable things that should be appropriately packed – professional packers will definitely know how to pack your crystal chandelier or a piano without causing damage
- If you have a short deadline and need to carry out your packing quickly – efficient, fast and reliable packing is something you can expect from professional movers.
Additional Tips Related to Affordable Moving
If you don’t want your final cost to be more than you can afford, follow these tips and find out how to keep a few bucks in your pocket when paying for professional services:
- Move during the off-season, ideally between October and April – that’s the period when demand falls, dragging the moving prices down with them. During winter months, the prices are at their lowest, but such relocations carry an inherent risk.
- Ask for quotes from multiple movers and choose the deal that provides the best service at the most affordable price
- Pack whatever you can yourself instead of paying for full packing services
- Read your contract carefully one more time and consider various insurance and liability options
- Organize a garage sale several weeks prior to the move
- Throw a packing party
- Don’t toss tax receipts, because your expenses may be deductible
Tips on Finding Cheaper Boxes and Other Supplies
The first thing that pops into one’s mind when planning to relocate is to obtain enough high-quality boxes and tapes, which means purchasing them from the movers or a nearby store. But, if you want to reduce your relocation expenses, there are other ways to go about this, such as:
- Sales at office supply and department stores are an excellent opportunity to buy everything you need at a significant discount
- Start collecting free boxes from retailers, talk to your friends and ask them if they have any to lend you, and don’t forget social media – it could be a handy solution since there’s always someone willing to help
- Free wrapping paper and packing peanuts that come in packages when you buy electronics are excellent alternatives for pricey bubble wrap and other cushioning materials
5 Best Alternatives for Packing Materials If You Want to Keep a Few Bucks in Your Pocket
When packaging your household belongings, you might be surprised by the sheer number of possibilities on how you can go about this tedious job. What’s more, you probably already have everything you might need in your home. So kill two birds with one stone – skip buying new stuff and protect your breakable and fragile belongings with some of these things:
- Zip-top plastic bags
- Pantry goods (bagged beans, rice, lentils, popcorns, balls of wool)
Pack Only the Most Important Items
There’s no better moment for decluttering than relocation time. Keep in mind that your emotions should be put aside now and that fewer things translates to lower final costs, particularly if you decide to employ experts. So, how do you declutter and spare yourself from at least some of the wrapping, loading, and unloading? Here are some tips that can help you in saving both your time and money.
12 Tips on How to Downsize Your Home
There are a lot of ways to reduce your belongings and make the entire relocation process smoother. Before you get all jumpy due to the sheer number of things you have to prepare for transport, take into consideration these tips for downsizing that can make your life easier:
- Plan ahead
- Start small and take it unit by unit
- Get rid of everything you don’t need anymore, but don’t go overboard
- Create an inventory list and track all of your items
- Track usage and figure out how much you actually use something
- Follow the one-year rule
- Keep things with multiple purposes and save space
- Sell, donate, or toss
- Consider professional storage services
- Measure your new place before you start the relocation process
- Digitalize everything you can
- Get rid of duplicates
- Bring special and unique items with you and place them somewhere safe