We all know that relocation can be a very time-consuming and stressful event. However, there are some steps you can take in order to make the entire process go as smooth as possible. One of the most stressful things about relocation is packing, especially if you own a huge house with lots of expensive items. This can give you lots of anxiety simply because you constantly have to worry about whether something is going to get damaged or lost during transportation. By using these packing tricks and tips you can be certain that you relocation will be quick, efficient and a lot less stressful!
There are several things than you might have to do when it comes to packing. Organization and time-effectiveness are essential. If you have no previous experience with relocation, don’t worry. Here are our best pieces of advice which will hopefully make you less worried about having to relocate. Let’s first breakdown the moving process into 4 segments:
- Organizing and getting everything ready
- Packing your belonging
- Transportation to the new location
- Moving in
Step 1: Getting everything ready and purchasing moving supplies
This is the most essential part of your relocation. If you don’t feel confident enough about doing this on your own, ask a friend or someone close to you for some advice on how to cope with relocation organization. Be aware that there are many things that you need to take into consideration, so start planning on time. Being time-efficient is very important – after all, time is money! There are several things that you need to do before you can start packing all of your stuff:
- Organize all of you belonging before you start packing them: If you’ve never moved homes before, you might not realize the fact that you will come across certain things you forgot you even had. This is completely expected and happens to literally everyone. This is why organizing all of your items is really important. You can organize them into sections, for example ‘stuff for kitchen’, ‘bathroom stuff’, etc. Once you’ve gathered everything you have into piles accordingly, you will get an estimate on how many moving boxes you’ll need, as well as how many supplies you’ll have to purchase. The next things you should do is to measure any big furniture you own. This includes beds, closets, bookshelves, glass cases, etc. Once you’ve got all of the dimensions it will be easier to choose how much packing material you’ll need. Another important thing to take into consideration are any delicate and fragile items you might own, such as expensive paintings, musical instruments and anything else. Assess these items before you decide how much and what type of protective moving material you’ll need.
- Find and purchase appropriate packing supplies: Even though you might think that only moving boxes will be sufficient, you simply cannot go without more packing supplies. Some of these packing supplies include large moving boxes, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, duct tape, etc. There are lots of supply stores where you can easily locate and purchase all of these items. Don’t forget to make a shopping list! If you miss out on buying something, there might not be enough time late, so organize everything on time. You can always opt for any item you might encounter at the store and purchase it on the spot. But be prepared with a shopping list, which will contain all the absolutely necessary supplies you’ll need. You will also need certain tools for making your relocation easier. Such tools include dollies and handtrucks, for example. This will help you save so much time and energy, so definitely consider purchasing those too.
Step 2: Packing your belonging and preparing for relocation
- Packing up everything: This is the final step. If you’re brave enough, you can pack everything on your own. However, if you have no experience, you might want to ask for advice from a professional or someone with a bit more experience. The most important thing to remember is that packing takes a lot of time, especially if you have a huge house with lots of furniture and other items. Remember to take short breaks every now and then in order to not get too exhausted. Also, don’t forget to have fresh water with you at all times. Keeping yourself hydrated will certainly help. Try to have a proper meal during these breaks in order to ensure having enough energy to go through the entire process. Once you begin packing, it’s best to work in sections. First, pack everything that belongs to the kitchen. Then, pack stuff that’s supposed to go in the bathroom. Make sure you have a packing checklist and track your progress as you go. This will ensure that you don’t miss anything while packing and will make the whole process a lot easier.
- Or simply hire a professional moving company to help you pack: Can’t be bothered to pack by yourself? Want to avoid any unnecessary hassle and stress? If this is the case, you can always find a reliable and professional moving company which can help you pack everything. There are so many moving companies out there nowadays. If you hire Cross Country Moving Group, you can be certain that our professionally trained staff will safely pack and transport all of your belongings. This will prevent any unnecessary stress. With Cross Country Moving Group, your relocation process will be swift and smooth.