Moving to another state, compared to moving locally within the same city or state, will always be the more challenging kind of residential moving due to the distance that you have to move to get to your new home. Long distance moves are a lot more expensive because of that distance, and the risks of possible damage are higher when your belongings have to be relocated hundreds or thousands of miles across the country. Finding and choosing a reliable long distance moving company that you can trust is harder to do as well. To help you out when it comes to choosing the right long distance moving services for you: first, we are going to give you some advice on how to find the right long distance moving company, and then provide you with 4 steps to help you choose the right long distance movers.
Finding a long distance company
You know there have to be some great long distance moving companies around you, but you might be wondering just how to contact them. You are moving across the country soon, and you realize that organizing a self-move will not work when your destination is so far away.
In reality, it is the risks of driving a rented moving truck for days through the country, and the large amount of hidden costs and charges when moving on your own that will help you decide what is the best course of action for you and your family. How to find the best long distance movers around you? Here are a few steps to help you find them:
- Fill in the free moving quote to contact reliable long distance moving companies. You will get in touch with properly licensed and adequately insured professional moving companies that service the selected relocation route from your current home to your new home.
- Request home visual surveys of your home from each of the long distance moving companies, right after the initial contact. Those in-person inspections are essential because they are the only way you can get accurate moving cost estimates. So, if a long distance moving company does not provide such an on-site inspection and instead wants to calculate your moving cost over the phone or via e-mail, then do not work with that mover.
- Have, preferably four or five, in-home inspections scheduled. Moving experts will visit you at the arranged time and day, and will take a good look at all the things you plan to move. They will inspect your home for possible problems on moving day, out-of-order elevators, tight doorways, narrow corridors and staircases and more importantly, oversized and antique furniture or other specialty items that will need custom packing and moving techniques.
- Ask your long distance moving company representatives any questions that you have on your mind. The answers to those questions will give you valuable information as to what you might expect from each long distance mover regarding reliability and professionalism.
- Get a moving cost estimate in writing from each long distance moving company after the in-house surveys are done. It is these moving company quotes that will help you choose a long distance moving company that is right for you.
Choosing long distance movers
Now that you have the filled in moving quotes in your hands, here are the steps that will show you how to choose long distance movers that are sufficiently reputable, reliable and affordable to be your trusted partner during the residential move.
Step 1. The reliability check
The U.S. Department of Transportation must license all long distance moving companies. A quick check at the U.S. Department of Transportation website will give you access to the record of each licensed long distance mover, along with the U.S. Department of Transportation number they have been awarded. To choose a reliable long distance moving company, you will also need to check and see if the companies you are considering are active members of two very respectable professional organizations:
- A) American Moving and Storage Association. Finding a reputable and reliable moving company is critical for any move, so AMSA ProMover program makes sure that their members have passed a rigorous background check.
- B) Better Business Bureau. Proper Better Business Bureau accreditation means a higher level of trust between you and the long distance moving company you will be partnering with soon.
Step 2. The reputation check
The best long distance moving companies will have an excellent reputation both in the moving and storage industry and among former and current customers of their moving services. One good way to check how reputable cross country movers are is to read reviews about their services on specialized moving company reviews websites. Keep in mind that while moving reviews, testimonials, and overall ratings, can help you pick a long distance moving company, you should not always trust them completely.
Step 3. The affordability check
Most of the time, your first instinct will be to select a long distance moving company based on the price they have provided on the moving quote. That is understandable, as money does not grow on trees so you will want to spend as little money as possible on your long distance moving company. Nevertheless, price alone should not be what you should consider when picking long distance movers. Instead, take a good look at the extra services that are provided on the moving quotes and their prices. These additional moving services include but are not limited to packing, disassembling and reassembling of large furniture, temporary storage, etc.
Compare the moving quotes concerning service prices and choose the one that is agreeable with your moving budget. However, be suspicious if you happen to get a moving quote that is too good to be true, a lowball estimate may be a sign of moving fraud.
Step 4. The intuition check
All of the above tips for choosing a long distance moving company rely on facts and logic, but sometimes you might need something extra to be able to make the correct choice, and that extra decision-making power is your intuition. Whenever two or three interstate moving companies seem equally good to you, then it might be time to trust your hunch and go with the long distance moving company that you feel will be the best one for you.
Now that you have read these 4 steps to help you choose the right long distance movers, we hope that you will have an easier time finding a moving company to help you move to your new home. If you are still in need of a professional and reliable moving company, then you will be happy to find out that you have found one of the best moving companies in the country, Cross Country Movers Group. Call one of our friendly representatives to get a free moving quote and to schedule your moving date.