It is essential to remember that when you are moving to a new home that is less than a hundred miles within the same state, you are moving locally. The importance of this information is that, when you hire professional movers to move your belongings from your old home to your new one, you will be charged an hourly rate. And whenever you hire movers by the hour, you have to be familiar with the typical hourly rate so that you can have a general idea about how much you will have to pay the professionals in the end.
Read these 3 ways to find out your moving companies hourly rates to find out the average cost of hiring professional movers per hour and their extra hourly rates.
1) Confirm that you are going to hire movers
If you are trying to find out how much hiring movers to help you with your local move will cost, then you must have already decided whether or not you are going to hire movers to help you. There are three things to consider when deciding on whether you should hire movers:
- If you have moved before and have previous experience with moving then you can move by yourself, if you haven’t then it’s probably best to hire movers.
- Have you got enough reliable people to help you on the day of the move? If not, a local moving company.
- Do you have any unique items of great value in your home? If so, then leave the delicate job of packing them to experienced movers.
2) How much will hiring movers cost per hour?
When you hire a local moving company to take care of your things, time becomes a major factor. Naturally, when you are being charged by the hour, how long it takes you to move to your new home will determine the final cost. The average hourly rate for movers is about thirty dollars an hour per mover. Although the hourly pay may be higher depending on where you live, where you are moving to and the moving company itself, you can still use that average cost of local movers to get a rough estimate of the expected final bill. Before signing any paperwork, make sure that you get a binding estimate in writing from a trustworthy local moving company. So, with an average moving company hourly rate, here are the approximate local move costs for various home sizes:
- Studio apartment: Two movers should be able to complete the job in around three or four hours, which will cost you roughly 180 to 250 dollars.
- Two bedroom apartment: A two bedroom apartment with an approximated footage of a thousand square feet, three hired men should be able to finish the relocation job in five to six hours, which will amount to around 450 to 550 dollars.
- Three bedroom home: A three bedroom house or apartment has approximately two thousand square feet, four local movers should be expected to finish the move in eight to nine hours or so, which will increase the movers hourly charge to about 950 to 1100 dollars.
- Four bedroom home: A four bedroom home will increase the cost substantially and can easily pass the two thousand dollar mark.
Again, it’s essential that you get a precise moving cost estimate from reputable and reliable local movers. You should note that these prices do not include any extra fees or charges for additional services that you might hire.
3) Additional moving rates per hour
Although these average costs to hire movers will help you get a rough estimation of how much your move will cost, the final price you pay will depend on the type and number of extra services you request and any additional fees you get hit with.
- More hired packers and helpers: Each additional mover you hire should cost you about an extra thirty dollars per hour. The good news here is that more professional movers should be able to complete the move more quickly, which will lower the total time your move will take, hence the final price.
- Additional services: Each additional service will cost you more. If you want your items placed in storage until you are ready to receive them, that will cost you extra. If you request special crating services for some of your valuable items, then the final cost of your move will increase.
Additional services provided by moving companies
- Extra fees: You might get charged more if your movers have to handle bulky items or if they have to carry your things up and down multiple flights of stairs in case of a broken or no elevator. Just make sure you discuss all possible fees with your local moving company before moving day.
- Additional insurance: The average coverage that you will receive free of charge is practically non-existent. Therefore, if you are moving relatively valuable items, then you are strongly advised to purchase additional insurance, either from the moving company itself or an insurance agency.
- Tipping local movers: Hiring movers by the hour will also mean that you will be expected to tip your local movers unless you are dissatisfied with their work. So, it is a good idea to include the tips in the final cost of the move. A good tipping rule you should adhere to is to tip five dollars an hour per mover if they do a good job, or seven or eight dollars an hour if they do an outstanding job packing and moving all of your possessions.
That’s right, moving to a new home can be rather expensive. Luckily, we have provided you with these 3 ways to find out your movers hourly rates to help you reduce moving costs, so what are you waiting for? Contact Cross Country Moving Group, we are professional movers with lots of experience in the moving industry and can help you move to and from anywhere in the country.